Thursday 14 March 2013

Collage College






Almost two weeks into school and all I can think about is making quilts! I have two projects at the moment, one is about manipulating paper and the other is about collage. So of course I am making two textiles pieces at the same time!

The paper-pieced patchwork hexagon is an idea that I have been playing around with for a while now. I'm thinking it will become some sort of a hanging work, maybe with both sides visible. The other quilt is a more solid piece -a quilt made with sherbet coloured suiting wool from the 60s, stitched together with knitting yarn to create an optical feast, a bit like the watercolour above. It's really big (queen sized quilt) and I have to have it finished by week 4, so I'll be watching a lot of old movies and sewing on the couch (my favourite thing about hand-sewing). I'm just having so much fun with the colours.

The stress of school/being a parent is manifesting itself in the weirdest way. I have made 2 dresses and countless drawings and paintings that I just don't have the motivation to photograph and blog about. It's annoying because I love writing posts and commenting on other people's blogs, but for some reason I haven't been able to. Oh well, I'll consider it a blogging slump and hopefully I can pick it up again soon. Until then I am just going to relax myself back into school and the juggling act that we managed to keep on top of last year!


5 comments:

  1. You are so talented!
    I love all three!

    Enjoy the old movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, yeah we watched The Day The Earth Stood Still last night, it was fantastic.

      Delete
  2. Scrumptious. I love paper pieced patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colours! Yes I love, love, love old movies and hand sewing. It was one of the upsides of the quite excessive amount of sewing I did at college myself (and sometimes, with jobs, at home). I'm building up a nice DVD library, though a majority of those are 1940s films noirs. (I wrote an essay on it - another college based thing) which I've finally returned to after becoming utterly sick of the genre.
    xxx
    PS I'm sorry I didn't write before, but you were not absent from my thoughts upon all that followed during the break-in. I'm glad that things are picking up again. Much love from old pom x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so wonderful, Ruby - an inspiration!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete